Thursday, March 27, 2008

Feeding Guppies!

Today, I went to Trop-Aquarium, and bought 20 feeder guppies. I brought them home and put them into the Anacharis tank. I then netted 4 Guppies and put them into Squirts tank. At first My mom and I thought that he would just leave the fish alone and be oblivious. 

Little did we know he would go into hunting mode soon as he saw the guppies in there. He tried to attack them right away and was chasing them all over the tank. They were trying to hide in the plastic plants, under rocks, and the pieces of slate in the tank. Squirt would swim around and scare them up and out from the rocks and the chase would be on. 

He finally did get one Guppy because of "Guppy operator Failure". Squirt was chasing him across the tank and turned his head, the guppy saw this and thought the coast was clear and turned right into squirts mouth. His first live meal!

While I was gone out of the room, he ate another. There is still 2 guppies left swimming and hiding in the plants right now. He chases them every once in a while, but I suspect once the lights go out, He will have the upper hand and I will wake up to a tank with Squirt only and no more Guppies. I was very happy that he had the instant hunting instinct! 

Next time, I will get Rosie Red Minnows. Because they are larger, and slower, making it easier for Squirt to catch them. 

No comments: