Friday, April 4, 2008

Siphoning the tank

I am talking about siphoning out poop that the filter does not pick up and other little annoying bits of "Turtle Sludge". I do this every few days and have accepted it as part of the routine now w/ turtle keeping. 

It does get annoying however, taking off the lights, and screen top, to get access to the tank water. I then drain the water into a 5 gallon bucket, picking up everything, and then put fresh water in. So it kinda doubles as a 10-15% water change at the same time while cleaning out "turtle sludge". 

Lately, I have been slacking off and haven't siphoned the tank in about a week.. Oops. But it's not like the water is dirty or anything, just some turtle sludge is building up on the bottom in the one corner where the filter does not reach. 

Oh yeah, this reminds me, I should clean my filter media this weekend. Guess I'll do that while I'm siphoning tomorrow. 

No comments: